Thursday, September 17, 2009

Thoughts on DJ AM's funeral


Sadly, celebrity "DJ AM" (Adam Goldstein) passed away suddenly August 28th. People magazine describes his funeral, which was attended by high profile celebrities like Lindsey Lohan. Many people have commented on his life and death, but what really struck me were his girlfriend's comments at his funeral, posted in People recently:
"The love I continue to feel for him and the love that we shared together will live with me and those who witnessed us together forever. … I will never be the same without him. A part of me has passed away with him. Even the warmest of days will never compare to the warmth I felt when I touched him. He was my soulmate, and now he is my soul. He was my amazing grace."

Wood followed this speech by reading the lyrics of "Amazing Grace." I'm sure DJ AM was a nice guy, but should people really quote a deeply spiritual hymn about the saving power of Jesus Christ in honor of a celebrity DJ? That really makes me cringe. Someone who describes their boyfriend as their "soul" is sadly lost and confused.
This is the same kind of thing Beyonce sings about in "Halo," in which she likens her love interest to a heavenly angel, singing that he is her "saving grace." Sounds blasphemous to me. Anyone who is casually using the glorious words of Christ's salvation to desribe mere humans has clearly never encountered the living God. Once you have experienced His glory, everything and everyone else pales in comparison. I hope that throwing around the powerful words of grace, soul, and salvation to apply to human beings will not become a celebrity trend. What do you think?


For the complete article go to:
http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20302684,00.html