Tuesday, January 26, 2010

For Those Suffering with Anxiety...

Read Psalm 94:17-19: "If the Lord had not been my help, My soul would soon have dwelt in the abode of silence. If I should say, 'My foot has slipped,' Your lovingkindness, O Lord, will hold me up. When my anxious thoughts multiply within me, Your consolations delight my soul."


What are you worried about? I don't know about you, but I've got a long list. What to you do when you're plagued with anxiety? Who do you turn to? There will always be things to worry about, no matter what stage of life you're in. Oftentimes I have thought that if only (fill in the blank) were different, I wouldn't worry. I thought that once I was out of school, once I was married, once I had a full-time job, once I got through that particular year or trial, etc, things would be peaceful for me. What I've realized is that there are always going to be stress factors in your life that will bring you anxiety and worry, no matter what your current circumstances are. The real question is, what do you do with that anxiety? I'm sure you'll agree with me that being a worrier is no way to live. Let's look at what the psalmist has to say in Psalm 94:17-18 for a little insight into a solution to anxiety.

I noticed while reading these 3 verses this morning, that each of them are in a different tense. I think this is significant to point out and sheds some light on the issue we're discussing. The first verse (17) is in the past tense. The psalmist is talking about an event that has already happened. Apparently he had been in distress. He says that if it hadn't been for the Lord's help, he would have basically died. The Lord brought him out of the pit and saved him from destruction.

The following verse (18) is in the future tense. The psalmist has confidence that the Lord will help Him in the future when He struggles. He says that if he is to ever stumble, that the Lord WILL hold Him up. He has a strong faith and confidence in the Lord's ability to save Him, as well as in His lovingkindness.

Verse 19 is in the present tense. The psalmist says that when he is overwhelmed with anxiety, the Lord consoles Him, and he delights in this comfort.

What do these 3 verses tell us about surviving times of worry and anxiety? I think it is important to follow the psalmist's example in first looking back at the past, at the things you have seen the Lord do in your life and in Scripture. Has the Lord ever failed you or deserted you before? Has His character ever changed, or has He always remained faithful? When you look back at all the times the Lord has provided for you and worked all things together for your good, it's hard to remain worried. When you focus on the Lord's power, mercy, sovereignty, and faithfulness, your problems will soon seem very small in comparison. Thinking about God's proven character and the amazing things He has done in the past should give you confidence in the future, just like the psalmist. Pray that the Lord will increase your faith and keep you mindful of what you know to be true about Him from Scripture and your own experiences.

As I said before, anxiety will come to you in whatever stage you find yourself in. It won't stop after finals, after high school, after you get a boyfriend, or after you get into college. What do you do with this anxiety? Verse 19 shows us that we can only go the Lord for consolation, and the comfort that you can only receive from Him will bring you joy. Think of the truth of Philippians 4:6-7, which says, "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." When life is difficult and your situation seems hopeless, you can only turn to God. By giving your anxieties to Him, you will be overcome with His supernatural peace that you can find no where else.

I write this post today because I'm going through a difficult period of life myself that is giving me great anxiety. In the midst of hardship which causes us an extreme amount of stress and worry, Lee and I have found that we can only go to the Lord. Only He can take care of us and take the burdens off of our shoulders. Only He can bring peace to the restless. Today, I challenge you to give your anxieties to Him and experience the consolation only He can offer. I'll leave you with one of my favorite verses, "Cast all your cares upon Him, for He cares for you" (1 Peter 5:7).