Wednesday, December 9, 2009

My problem with Justin Bieber...

I've got a bone to pick with Justin Bieber. After hearing his new hit, "One Less Lonely Girl," I had to cringe at hearing one of the lines. In the song, Justin sings that he is coming after his true love and is doing his part to take a lonely girl off the market. How noble of him (I hope you sense my sarcasm). Anyway, the line that bothers me so much is, "I'll show you what you're worth." I suppose this means that the teenage girl who Justin chooses to be with has great worth. Meanwhile, all of the rest of the teenage girl population who is not loved by Justin (or someone as cool as him) remains worthless and lonely. Thanks Justin, for making all of those insecure teenage girls out there feel even worse about themselves.

I hope that you know that you should NEVER look to a guy to determine your worth. I see this all the time among teenagers, and I'm sure you do as well. Girls jump from relationship to relationship, because they only feel good about themselves when they have a boyfriend. Taking it further, some give themselves away physically as well in order to feel special and worthy in the eyes of a guy. When the guy leaves them and their hearts are broken, they feel worthless until they find some other boy to notice them and make them feel good about themselves. What an emotional roller coaster!

What is the alternative to this type of behavior? The solution to determining your worth is found only in looking to the Lord. He loves you more than you can fathom, and that love will never change. Romans 8:38-39 assures us that absolutely nothing can separate us from the love of God. We also know that God created us in His own image (Gen. 1:26), that we are fearfully and wonderfully made (Ps. 139:14), and that He has a great plan for us (Jer. 29:11). If we are believers, we know that He chose us before the foundation of the world (Eph 1:4-5), and that He is preparing a special place in heaven for us (John 14:2). You have tremendous worth in the eyes of the Lord, and don't you forget it! Do not dare look to some guy to establish your worth, no matter what Justin Bieber says! The Lord's love for you transcends all human love, so stop searching for it in other places. No other love will satisfy you...I guarantee it.