Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Psalm 55: Stabbed in the Back

Read Psalm 55

Ever been stabbed in the back? If you're a teenage girl, you'll probably answer yes to this question. Let's face it...girls can get pretty ugly. We've probably all faced our share of mean girl drama, but in my opinion, the worst kind is when the mean girl is a former friend of yours. How can someone be your friend one day, and then completely turn on you the next?

One thing that continues to blow my mind when I read the Scriptures, is how relevant they are to the present day. As Ecclesiastes 1:9 says, "there is nothing new under the sun." Though several thousand years have passed since the Old Testament was written, people haven't changed much at all. They faced the same problems we face today. Don't believe me? Let's take a look at Psalm 55, a passage in which David laments about getting stabbed in the back by a close friend...

In the first 5 verses, we quickly can sense the tone of this passage. David is restless and distracted, he's scared and full of horror, and his heart is in utter anguish. Why? He has an enemy who is making his life miserable. In verse 6 he says in total honesty, that he wishes he could just fly away from it all and be at rest! I don't know about you, but I've often wished I could do this when troubles arise. Unfortunately, it doesn't work. It sounds cliche to say that you can't run from your problems, but it's true. Though that would be a lot easier, it wouldn't solve anything.

In verses 9-11 David describes his enemy in a little more detail. This enemy is causing violence, strife, iniquity, mischief, destruction, oppression, and deceit in the city. All of these things add up to make a pretty hefty list of offenses against this enemy that give David reason to be upset. However, we see the worst offense in verses 12-14. This person was David's friend. David reasons that he could bear all of this trouble if it was just coming from one of his enemies, but the person who is causing him harm is someone he once called a friend. David describes him as "my companion and my familiar friend," and states that they "had sweet fellowship together," and "walked in the house of God in the throng" (13-14). Thinking of the sweet friendship they once shared is like pouring salt on the wound...it makes it all the more painful to endure. David even goes as far as saying that he wishes his enemies would just die (15).

David is at the point in which he wants his enemies to be judged and put to death, but that's not how he responds to this crisis. David was a mighty warrior, and he could easily have put this enemy to death. However, instead of taking justice into his own hands, he decides to turn everything over to God. In verse 16 he states, "As for me, I shall call upon God, and the Lord will save me." He decides to trust God to deliver him, rather than taking vengeance from his own initiative. I love verse 17, in which he states, "Evening and morning and at noon, I will complain and murmur, and He will hear my voice." He talks to God all day long about his problems with this person! How often are we as girls tempted to gossip and complain about those who have wronged us, to anyone who will care to listen! David instead gives all his complaints to God, and prays to Him at all times. Is the Lord truly your best friend, and the one you go to first when you have problems?

In verses 20-21, we get a greater glimpse of what this traitor was really like. One thing that we learn about him is that, "his speech was smoother than butter, but his heart was war; His words were softer than oil, yet they were drawn swords" (21). Does this sound like any girls you know? I certainly can think of a few that fit this description! The person David is describing would be fake-nice around others and say all the right things, but in reality, he was inwardly downright mean.

Verse 22 is my favorite one out of the whole passage. It says, "Cast your burden upon the Lord and He will sustain you; He will never allow the righteous to be shaken." I love this! What in the world would I do if I couldn't give over all of my heavy burdens to the Lord? Where would I be if I didn't have Him sustaining me? This is so encouraging to me.

In the final verse, David asks God to bring about justice to his enemy. He voices his desire to have his enemy destroyed. However, he closes with this simple but profound phrase..."BUT, I will trust in you." David is hurting, he's frightened, he's worried, and he's angry. However, rather than lashing back in retaliation against the one who wronged him, he decides to instead, trust in God. God will bring about justice, God will bring him relief, God will be his refuge, and God will deliver him from his troubles. Hallelujah!