Thursday, April 22, 2010

What Teflon Tim has Taught Me

Well, in case you haven't heard, Tim Urban was finally voted off of American Idol last night, after a long and tough road on the show as the season's underdog. Though I didn't care for Tim much at first, I've really come to admire him. I think few could do what he has demonstrated so faithfully on the show, and it's taught me a thing or two.

In case you haven't followed this season, let me fill you in on Tim Urban. Tim was a last minute add-on when the top 24 contestants were chosen...this means that of all of them, he started out in last place in the judges' opinion. The first week he performed, the judges said they regretted putting him in the top 24, because he wasn't as good as the others. Since then, he's been torn apart week after week and criticized ruthlessly for his performances (with the exception of 1 or 2). While most contestants either become defensive, depressed, sulky or angry after critique, Tim's response is so different that it's alarming. Instead of the natural negative reaction to criticism, Tim responds with a smile every time, no matter how bad the comments are.

It's pretty unbelievable when you think about it. How many people do you think would respond with graciousness, joy, and love, when they're slandered and knocked down in front of millions of people? What an incredible testimony! It reminds me of Jesus' seldom practiced command in Luke 6:27-28 which states, "'But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you.'" I have to admit that if I was in Tim's place, I don't think I could respond to those insults with such grace and kindness. He's really an amazing example of practicing Jesus' command in Luke. Even relentless Simon Cowell admitted a few weeks ago that he was touched and blown away by the way Tim had responded to their criticism.

While we were in downtown Memphis last weekend, a homeless woman approached Lee and I out of no where and just started cussing us out. We had never seen her before or given her any cause to do this, but she said the most hateful and obscene things to us. I've never been spoken to in such a way! I wasn't sure how to respond, but Lee responded by saying sincerely to her, "God bless you." I couldn't believe he was able to respond with such kindness to someone who had been so hateful. The woman certainly wasn't prepared for such a loving response and was left speechless. It was so neat to see my husband respond to insult with God's love.

When someone insults or slanders you, how do you respond? Do you respond as Jesus would, which is the loving response that both Tim and Lee demonstrated? Or do you respond as everyone else does, by hurling insults back or getting angry and sullen? I'll close with the example of Jesus Christ, who suffered more than any of us ever will and still remained sinless: "'He committed no sin, and no deceit was found in his mouth.' When they hurled their insults at him, he did not retaliate; when he suffered, he made no threats. Instead, he entrusted himself to him who judges justly" (1 Peter 2:22-23).