Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Do You Play Favorites?

Read James 2:1-13

There is no denying the fact that favoritism and discrimination have permeated our culture. Looking a certain way and having a certain amount of money will generally get you farther in life. High school is certainly no exception to this. Teachers and coaches play favorites, singling out certain individuals to receive special attention and privileges. The students who are popular and in the cool cliques in high school are the ones who are good-looking, athletic, funny, etc. Individuals who don't fit into these categories are often overlooked or ridiculed. It's sad to see so many teenagers who have been scarred by favoritism. But is it any different in the church? Are our youth groups inclusive of all types of people, or do they hold the same cliques found in school? Are teenage Christians any different than their peers, who only talk to those they feel are socially acceptable?

When I think about most youth groups I've either been a part of or worked for, I unfortunately realize that I haven't seen a huge difference in Christian teens in the area of favoritism. Most teenagers in youth groups are indifferent or hostile toward the "uncool" teenagers in the group and gravitate toward the "cool" members of the youth group. In James 2:1-13, James exposes the sinful practice of favoritism in the church and reveals just how serious this type of behavior is to God.

The passage starts out with an illustration. The illustration is simple enough, but I'm going to reword it to apply to our youth group. Suppose the head varsity cheerleader from Klein Collins comes to visit our youth group at Northwest. She's beautiful, wealthy, athletic, and has a great sense of style. Suppose a second visitor shows up at the same time. She goes to Klein Collins also, but she isn't involved in any extracurricular activity. In fact, none of the KC students at Northwest have ever noticed her before. This girl looks like she hasn't bathed in a few days. Her hair is a rat's nest, her clothes are hideous, her teeth are crooked, etc... Which girl do you go and talk to first? Do you feel more compelled to single out the cheerleader and try to get her to join the youth group? Do you even reach out to the second girl at all, or do you just hope someone else will go and talk to her so you don't have to?

James pus things in perspective in the next few verses. In verse 4 he offers a stern rebuke to those who show favoritism in the church. Christians who show favoritism have "evil motives" and are arrogantly placing themselves above the poor and unfortunate. By deciding who is worthy of their attention and who isn't worth their time, they're exalting themselves into the position of judge. James reminds us in verse 5 that God loves those poor people who we think are unworthy in our eyes. In fact, many who are poverty stricken in this world will inherit the kingdom of God! God does not show favoritism, so who are we to take on this attitude? In verse 9 James calls favoritism a sin, plain and simple. It displeases God and is against His law.

I know what you're thinking: "Sure, I may show favoritism from time to time...who doesn't? At least I haven't ever done drugs or had sex or killed anyone. If this is all I'm guilty of, I'm doing pretty good...at least compared to everyone else." James exposes this way of thinking in the next few verses. He says in verse 10 that even if you just stumble at one point in the law, which you see as insignificant, you're a guilty sinner nonetheless. You are a transgressor of God's law, just like any other murderer or adulterer out there. You're no better than them.

I know what it's like to minimize your sins and pass them off as no big deal in comparison to the "really bad" stuff you see everyone else doing. I know this, because I was exactly like that in high school! I showed partiality and favoritism, and I judged people when I had no right to do so. However, for years I didn't think that was all that bad. I didn't think I really needed to repent of such a "small" sin. It was only later that God convicted me of my wickedness in my heart. I was no better than any of those drunks or addicts sitting next to me in class! I needed to repent. Perhaps you need to as well after reading this passage.

I want to challenge you to take this passage seriously, because God certainly does. Is there someone at school or church that you have failed to reach out to because you don't like the way they look? Are you guilty of favoritism? Ask God to search your heart today and then repent of any partiality in your life. Ask Him to help you see people as He does and reach out to everyone in need, regardless of their race, appearance, or social status.